Love might be described as an emotion, but it is definitely not JUST an emotion. The emotional feeling of love often stirs us to action. To do things or say things that we might not otherwise. But if love is more than emotion, what stirs us to action when the feeling isn't there? For instance, why does it seem I have to wait until I miss someone or have a sentimental moment before reaching out to them? Love is also a choice. I truly believe that. But why do I only sometimes make the choice to love?

Right now, I'd say 25% of my love output (that is, actions done in love) is prompted by choice and the rest are prompted by feeling. Okay, so what is prompting those feelings that 75% of the time? Random thoughts that spur emotion? Reactions to something perceived? (I saw an old friend and was reminded to feel love for them.)  <== That seems like a big one. But why do I need to be reminded to love? If I'm operating in love, why would I stop?

It's like a being drinking fountain. Someone walks up to me and presses the right button and, in return, I bless them with an out-pouring of love. As soon as they stop pressing that button the love release valve closes and love goes back to being contained until someone else comes up and pushes the button. What a low-level way to operate in love.

Why not this: Why not be more like a lawn sprinkler? You turn on a sprinkler and let it do it's job: which is to water the entire area around it as far is it can reach, indiscriminately. So what would that mean? Anyone who happens to walk by gets showered with love - whether they were looking for it or not. By simply being in proximity, a person will be affected. There's no action needed on their part. They don't need to do or say anything to earn or warrant love. And the sprinkler? The sprinkler doesn't need a reminder nor is it waiting for a trigger. It is always spraying love.

I think this is the better way to love. I want this to be my way. And I won't turn off that sprinkler.

Comments

Popular Posts